An Natural alternative to taking the traditional flu shot
The flu hit our home and I hit the kitchen making medicinal soups, tinctures, and remedies to keep the flu from hitting this mama.
Not shocking to you if you know our family, we are not big fans of the flu shot since the flu itself is generally not life threatening, the shot can often times be in-effective, we usually get enough Vitamin D (a number one immune booster) here in sunny Colorado and with supplementation, and the flu shot, if taken many times over the lifetime of a patient is ten times more likely to develop Alzheimer’s disease. So we go without.
This year, the flu hit us and hit us hard! We did not see it coming! First our 4 year old, then dad and the 11 year old quickly after. Our oldest and myself quickly jumped into action and began the war on the flu in our house. Here are the steps we followed:
10 Easy Steps To Shorten the Flu:
- REST and SLEEP. Always stay home if you have the flu or think you have it. Please not not leave the house and spread your flu love and run your system down creating the perfect opportunity for the flu to worsen. Everything can wait. Sleep all day if you have to or find a good book or Netflix binge and stay home!
- HYDRATE. Drink water. Seriously, your system needs a highway to flush those bad guys out. Drink 8 to 10 cups of water a day.
- STEAM. If you can stand it, boil 3 cups of water of the stove. Then take it to the table carefully and drop 3 drops of oregano and 3 Eucalyptus in the water. Cover your head and the pot with a towel and breathe deeply into the steam. Do at least three times a day and you will open up your airways in no time!
- ROLL ON. We make an essentials oils roll on with 5 drops RC, 5 drops Raven, 3 drops peppermint, and 3 drops thieves to about half the roller being jojoba oil. We roll on the chest, back, neck and feet, keeping away from eyes, three times a day.
- SALT SOAKS. I know you are so tired and don’t want to move, but soaking in Epson salts will help detox and get the toxins out of the body and support your immune system as they fight their way to healing. 3 cups salt, to a full warm tub.
- WASH. Wash hands over and over. Clean door knobs. Throw away tooth brushes. Wipe down remotes, cell phones, the inside of the car, everywhere to prevent the spread of this virus!
- NO REFINED SUGAR, DAIRY, or GRAINS for at least 10 days. Don’t give the body a chance to allow the leaching of minerals and destruction of good bacteria. Keep it clean.
- PROBIOTICS: Keep the multi-strain probiotic going…This supports the good flora (bacteria) in the gut, therefore supporting the immune response!
- BROTH. The easiest way I have found to keep the broth a-flowing is to cook an organic chicken in the insta-pot and use the broth that is created at the bottom, add veggies and garlic and about 8 cups of water cook again…..perfection. Three to 5 cups a day. (Also can alternate the Flu Shot recipe below)
- NETI POT. Uncomfortable, yes, worth it, Um-YES! It can ease symptoms like congestion, pressure, and facial pain, particularly in people with ongoing (chronic) sinus troubles.
To keep the flu away!
Along with your amazing immune supporting diet and supplementation program, I like to encourage taking elderberry and get out in the sun as much as you can. My husband has been known to sit on the back deck, shirt off, in 30 degree weather to keep his Vitamin D levels up! Mountain man to the core. But, if you can stand it, make sure it is direct sun exposure and not through a window.
Our Version of the Flu Shot
We also like to take our version of the flu shot.
Recipe is as follows:
Juice of three lemons
1 inch juiced ginger (or peel and finely mince)
1/4 tsp. organic tumeric powder
1/2 tsp. organic cayenne powder
1-1/2 cup pineapple juice
1 TBS honey
Blend and store in fridge. Drink 1/2 cup a day to keep the flu away, or 3 servings a day if you have symptoms or diagnosis.
There are so many natural remedies that you can try , but these 10 steps seem to do the trick in our household!
Taking a few extra easy steps towards care each flu season just may keep that bug from hitting your house and home!
Claudine works as a functional dietitian consultant in conjunction with your current health care team and is not considered a replacement for your primary care physician. She requires all new patients to have a primary care physician to cover emergencies and routine care and screening. Any information given should be presented to your primary care physician prior to implementation.